Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Stone Fruit ~ ~ ~

Stone fruit and wooden bowls and trenchers ~ ~ ~ two of my favorite things! A number of years ago I started collecting stone fruit. I'd seen it at some of the better antique shows. The going rate was generally $30-$35 a piece ~ WAY WAY out of my price range, so I turned to my former best friend ebay (I say former because it's just too easy to spend way too much money there, which I did for years!) and was able to purchase it at a much more reasonable price. Granted, it probably isn't as old as the pricier pieces, but I am not a purist. As you can see, I got just a little obsessive-compulsive buying it (and I gave away many pieces as gifts to my BFF and to my SIL).
This bowl is on the upstairs landing.
On the dining room cupboard. Dining room table.
Living room coffee table.
Miniature stone fruit (the banana is 3") on a cherry wash stand at
the base of the stairs.
In the kitchen. More miniature fruit in the old pressed glass compote and life sized in the covered compote.
I should be heading to bed, but I still have not yet done my 10 minutes of hooking. Stop on over at Red Jack Rugs to join the challenge.
For those of you who "met" Frannie, I called her new mommy today and she did not return my call. I do hope she is doing well! I'll keep you posted.
Thank you for stopping by!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

4 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

You're a wealth of information!! I have never heard of stone fruit ~ thank goodness ~ that's all I need is one more addiction!! It's very beautiful and I can see why you like it!!
I went downstairs at 11 last night, too, to get in my 10 minutes and I hooked till midnight!! How about that? That's one way to do it!! Hope Frannie's 'mom' calls you!

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Can't say I've ever heard of "stone fruit" either. Nice collection!
Sure hope you hear something from Frannie's mom too.
I'm considering the 10 minutes a day challenge. Still thinking about it. Hate to start something and not stick with it....

woolwoman said...

I spy a beautiful little sampler Lauren ! Hey - Ilve never heard of stone fruit before either but it sure is beautiful and you have a lovely collection - I'm going to ask my DM if she has ever seen any - she collects Hull pottery and she's in and out of antique shops all over the south. I'm annoyed that you have not heard anything from Frannie's new mom - hope all is well - good for you on the 10min minimum hooking every day - I'm on the strand a day mantra and lucky to stick to that LOL
Take care Mel

Rugs and Pugs said...

Ladies ~ If you go to any higher quality shows, you will probably see an occasional piece, especially now that you know what it is. I'm amazed at the things I've never heard of, but as soon as someone points it out, I then notice it. Stone fruit is sometimes referred to as alabaster fruit. I think it is made of alabaster stone and painted. Now there is also alabaster fruit from Mexico, I believe, that is all shiny and veined and looks to me like marble. Now I don't like that!
Mel ~ I checked and the sampler is dated 1985 ~ back when I could see to cross stitch! The old eyes ain't what they used to be...lol! Strand a day...too funny!
I talked with Frannie's mom tonight. Overall things are going well, but there have been a couple instances of aggression with their pug Charlie. I do hope Frannie will stop that once she is more secure, but like I said, I'll take her back in an instant!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren